Sore throats are a common health ailment in many households, especially during weather changes and in winters. One of the common cold and flu symptoms include a sore throat. Other sore throat causes range from allergic reactions, bacterial, fungal and viral infections. Apart from this, sore throat can be caused due to irritants such as acid reflux, dry air, excessive shouting, pollution and smoking.
What Is Good for a Sore Throat?
If you suffer from a sore throat frequently, there is a high probability you are also dealing with a cough, therefore, it is an excellent idea to have a first aid kit at hand in your medicine cabinet at all times. We recommend loading up a small plastic box with Herbion Naturals dietary supplements such as all natural Cough Drops, Cough Syrup for Kids, Herbal Cough Syrup and Sugar Free Cough Syrup. These best cough suppressants for dry and wet cough contain nature-based formulations that are safe and effective for the whole family.
Herbion natural remedies for cough include regular and sugar free cough drops which soothe sore throat, provide relief from cough and clear nasal passages. This alcohol free oral anesthetic works as a potent cough suppressant.
Herbion Throat Syrup for Children is an effective sore throat relief for kids. This syrup soothes the throat, promotes healthy lung functionality, optimizes the immune system and tastes pleasant. This sore throat treatment is alcohol free, gluten free, nut free and non-sedative. The nature-based syrup can be given to children over 13 months and above.
Herbion Sugar Free Throat Syrup contains a blend of powerful herbal extracts which provide relief from sore throat and promote healthy lung functionality. This all natural, alcohol free, nut free, gluten free and non-sedative syrup also optimizes the immune system and is ideal for adults and infants as young as six months.
Head over to Amazon.com to order Herbion Naturals dietary supplements for quick delivery across the nation.
How to Get Rid of a Sore Throat with Home Remedies?
A growing number of people are looking for complementary and alternative remedies as solutions for ailments. People have practiced home remedies since the dawn of time. They were used a long time before pharmaceutical drugs were invented and are still being used due to their efficacy and lower side effects.
Though a sore throat is very common, it can be very uncomfortable. We are sure you have heard of all types of suggestions from your grandma’s family recipes to the uncountable Google searches. Nothing is more annoying than trying natural remedies with no result. Knowing which remedy is legit, saves you not only effort but also time. This especially comes in handy when you do not have access to heading to the pharmacy.
What Are Some Home Remedies for a Sore Throat?
If you want to avoid wasting time on bogus treatments, then keep reading to discover sore throat remedies at home that actually work.
Lemon Sore Throat Remedy:
Fresh lemons are ideal for relieving sore throat as they help remove mucus. This citrus is rich in vitamin C, which helps ward off upper respiratory infections which can lead to sore throats. This potent vitamin also contains antihistamine properties, which makes it useful for allergy-related sore throats. Furthermore, lemons contain astringent qualities due to its acidic levels which help shrink swollen throat tissues and create an acidic hostile environment for bacteria and viruses. You can try taking hot lemonade with honey to ease a sore throat.
- What you will need: Mix the juice of half a lemon with one teaspoon honey in a cup of warm water. Sip on it slowly to soothe the throat. Another way to use lemon is to gargle with freshly squeezed juice diluted with equal amount of warm water.
Honey and Cinnamon for Sore Throat
Now get sore throat relief with a combination of two of the most potent ingredients honey and cinnamon. Cinnamon is a delicious fragrant spice that is rich in antioxidants and antibacterial benefits. This spice is widely used in Chinese medicine for sore throat relief. Cinnamon can ease throat pain due to cold or flu. It can be prepared as a tea or added to numerous other beverages to calm throat discomfort.
- What you will need: You can drink warm cinnamon tea throughout the day. It is easily available at most grocery stores. Additionally, you can also add cinnamon powder to any herbal or black tea.
Honey is a delectable natural sweetener that can be combined with several other natural ingredients to provide effective sore throat relief. It contains antibacterial properties that reduce inflammation. It also eliminates bacteria and fights off viral infections.
- What you will need: Take a cup honey, to this add one teaspoon of cinnamon, freshly squeezed lemon juice and a quarter cup of lukewarm water. Stir well and combine to prevent coughing. Take one to two teaspoons of this mixture before heading to bed to ensure it coats and soothes the throat.
Slippery Elm Benefits
The bark of this tree has been widely used as an herbal medicine for hundreds of years. Though it is commonly used to treat cough, diarrhea and gastrointestinal disorders. It is also a powerful remedy for soothing the throat. Slippery elm is rich in mucilage, a substance that forms a gel-like consistency when mixed in water. Mucilage coats the throat, reduces irritation and eases soreness.
Slippery elm is easily available at most health and convenience stores and is worth stocking at home. If the herb itself is not available, you can also purchase it in capsule form.
- What you will need: Take one teaspoon of the inner bark of Slippery elm and add to two cups of boiling water. Let this steep for a few minutes. Once done strain the solution and drink slowly while it is still warm.
Marshmallow Root & Licorice
Marshmallow root is also rich in mucilage which makes it excellent for coating sore throats. It acts as an enzyme to loosen mucus and inhibits bacteria.
Licorice is a sweet-tasting herb that works as an adaptogen which helps the body cope with stress. Marshmallow and licorice root both act as a soothing demulcent which promotes mucus production, thereby making it ideal for dry cough.
- What you will need: Take marshmallow root in a jar, fill it with one cup warm filtered water and close with a lid. The water should not be hot, though. Place it in the fridge and let it steep for 4 hours or overnight.
- Next, take licorice root, place it in a pot and add 2 cups of water. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the flame and leave it to simmer for 10 minutes. Strain the tea into a jar. Once this concoction cools off but is still warm, stir in marshmallow infusion, honey and lemon juice. Sip on it slowly as needed. This mixture can be stored in the fridge for up to 6 days and reheated as deemed fit.